That’s right, dear readers! According to the original story as told in the Sailor Moon manga and anime, Usagi would be turning 42 on June 30, 2019.1 Hard to believe that our favorite sailor-suited soldier of love and justice would now be entering her fourth decade of life, isn’t it? While we may know her as a young and energetic junior high school student, she would now have been out of school longer than she ever spent in school.
Due to all of the odd time traveling mechanics and the start of Crystal Tokyo, it’s a bit harder to say anything about ChibiUsa. However, assuming that – like we have to do with Usagi – ChibiUsa was born in a normal universe, she would be turning around 18 years old today.2
In honor of the two birthday girls, I’ve selected five articles each about Usagi and ChibiUsa that may be of interest to you. Articles are in no particular order.
- Is Usagi Much Smarter Than the Series Implies?
- Is Usagi Really Just an Average Girl?
- Does Naru Know That Usagi Is Sailor Moon?
- How Old Was Usagi’s Mother, Ikuko?
- Would it be Legal for Mamoru and Usagi to Date?
- Why Does ChibiUsa Have Pink Hair?
- Why Do Usagi and ChibiUsa Have the Same Birthday?
- What is the Story Behind ChibiUsa / Small Lady’s Name?
- Why Was ChibiUsa Sad About Returning to the Future?
- Why Did ChibiUsa Call Sailor Moon Everyone’s Mother?
If you have any questions or suggestions for future articles, I’d love to hear from you!
- Seeing as Usagi was 14 in February/March 1992, that’d mean she was born on June 30, 1977. Incidentally, for her to have been a second-year junior high student, she actually should have been 13 years old in the beginning of the anime/manga. ↩
- Though the timeline is a bit fuzzy, Crystal Tokyo seems to begin in the year 2000, making Usagi 22 (turning 23) at that time. Assuming that’s when ChibiUsa comes into the picture, then she’d be born on June 30, 2000. ↩
5 thoughts on “Today, Usagi turns… 45 years old??”
In light of the recent possibility you introduced that she was rounding up her age at the beginning, 1978 would be the resulting birth year then?
Yep, assuming that she was rounding, she would have been born in 1978.
Honestly, that’s my preferred theory for having the series make any form of sense.
I know that it’s just an anime/manga goof and a totally small detail that no one cares about… but these things matter to me. =p
She has eternal youth
Even if most of the characters started out 13 and “rounded up” their ages to 14, I would still put put Sailor Moon (and others) birthdays in 1977. If the manga was released on December 28, 1991, It’s very likely that Naoko Takeuchi started working on the manga much earlier, before Japan’s 1991 April school year. In that case, if you look at the production period, she would have turned 14 in June 30 of 1991, as she was writing it. 🙂
I enjoyed the in depth article, keep up the thorough work!
Even if Usagi was 13 and “rounded up” to 14, I’d still put her birthday in 1977. If the manga was released in December 28, 1991, it’s very likely that Naoko Takeuchi was planning and working on it well before Japan’s April 1991 school year.
In that case, if you look at the production period she would have turned 14 in June 30, 1991 as she was writing it. 🙂
I enjoyed the in-depth article. Keep up the thorough work!